The First step was coming up with the concepts. We needed a programming language, an illustration, and some facts about the language for each letter of the alphabet.
We went through many iterations of the bug, inspired by Grace Hopper's story of the moth trapped in the relay of a Mark II computer, before coming up on the final design.
Each time refining the design a little bit further.
We did the same for each page illustration concept, iterating over concepts and designs until we found something that worked and would resonate with both children and adults alike. Each illustration contains a nod to the tech industry.
We also experimented with illustration styles.
Once concepts, text, code, and illustrations were nailed down we designed the page layouts.